Welcome to the
Exploring Alternatives to Guardianship in North Carolina
- A system of support for an individual in various areas of their life, and/or A written plan identifies individuals to assist in key areas of life, such as financial, health/medical, and daily living.
- An account that allows another person to help pay bills and manage money. Check with your financial institution.
- A tax-advantaged savings account for disability expenses
- Provides financial management of Social Security benefits.
- Provides financial management of VA pension benefits.
- Continued supportive and financial services for young adults aging out of foster care at age 18.
- A legal document giving someone the right to conduct financial business on behalf of someone else without a court order.
- A legal document giving someone the right to make health care decisions on behalf of someone else.
- A legal document that sets out an individual’s desires for medical care and treatment when they can no longer communicate and are near the end of life.
- A legal document in which an individual indicates what treatment and care for mental health conditions they want in the event that they are unable to communicate their wishes.
- A legal arrangement for an individual who is having difficulty managing property or assets themselves.
- A legal arrangement that allows an individual who has a disability to preserve assets while maintaining eligibility for government benefits.
We hope that you find this site to be a valuable resource. If you have suggestions for improvements or additional resources, please send us a note at the Contact Us page.